Latest Update: Rolled in Danny Gregory’s step-by-step, and another one from Chuck Rose. These were both in separate posts before, but they fit better in here with their friends…
- See also Comics Step-by-Step
Danny Gregory gives us a step-by-step insight into the making of one of his drawings – from sketching with pen to colouring with watercolours. Fascinating stuff, and all nicely done in the form of a comic.
Coop’s work is NSFW – it contins huge orange breasts. And Atari joysticks.
Nude with Atari Joystick
In this, he paints on two panels, each six feet square, a fairly well-spread and well-endowed woman, with an oversize Atari joystick just about obscuring her most private parts. He made quite a few notes during the process, so there’s quite a bit of information to it. He does say he enjoys the process much more than it looks like he does in the photos…
- Part 1 – including a shot of the plans in his
- Part 2 – the colour starts to appear, and by the end, you start to get a good feel for the end result.
- Part 3 – the basic colour is all done, but a lack of cadmium orange paint stops play.
- Part 4 – the black is filled in, solidifying everything, and highlights and shadows start to make everything feel more 3D.
- Part 5 – looking pretty near finished, but still filling in detail.
- Part 6 – The End. Including the Pain of the Joystick, and a dash to the finish before the landlord tears the roof off the studio for repairs.
A fan has created an animated .gif file of the process too, which is a great way to see the whole thing from start to finish…
- Coop Animated GIF from Kirk’s Sloppy Mind Noggins.
Violet Blue has visited Coop at his studio, and took a few pics – including one of this painting – and another – keep clicking next. Then go back, and click back a time or two to see more of the studio.
Chuck has been kind enough to do several step-by-step paintings and share them on his blog…
- Back to the Bird Feeder. – pencil and watercolour in a
- Another step-by-step from Chuck – View from a window.
- Another from Chuck – a waterfall – Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.
Watercolour painting of peppers on a chopping board…
- Step 1 – Just the Background
- Step 2 – First Green Pepper
- Step 3 – Second Green Pepper
- Step 4 – Last Green Pepper
- Step 5 – Red Peppers Added
- Step 6 – Added the Knife – The End
Gareth made a huge work of art on a multitude of panels, and made a spectacular quicktime video of the whole process, made over a period of around a month and a half. Unfortunately, there’s no notes other than the video file itself, but it’s worth the download to see something this big taking shape a chunk at a time.
- Article on Boing Boing that links to the .mov file.