Trying Again with Firefox 2.0 Beta 1

I’ve decided to go for it – I removed all extensions from Firefox, and upgraded to the Beta I mentioned yesterday. So far, so good. No crashes yet, and it’s running fast and smooth.

Memory use seems better, but it’s usually a day or two until the problems really show up, so I’ll reserve judgment. I’ve been pushing it pretty hard, though, and it’s only occasionally peaking over 100Mb.

This morning, Firefox 1.5 was peaking at over 430Mb. On a machine with 512Mb, that’s a lot. Even opening task manager to see how much it was using caused the system to hang and page furiously. Opening an Explorer window showing My Computer took minutes.