Hello there! I’m Sam, Michael‘s other half. I’m
an unemployed layabout a recovering office worker between careers. I blather about all sorts of different things here, but my main interests are listed below. I can also be found on Twitter and Tumblr, if you’d like to see what I’m fangirling over this week (at the time of going to press – Peter Capaldi, Supernatural, Sherlock, Anthony Bourdain, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Morecambe & Wise and of course my lovely friends the Hairy Bikers).
Health, Weight and Wellbeing
After several failed attempts at conquering my weight problem alone, I decided in 2011 to look into the possibility of having weight loss surgery.
My Pre-Op Ramblings series of posts tells the story of how I kept myself as sane as I could be while on an NHS waiting list. I had a gastric bypass on 3rd December 2013 and my new Post-Op Ramblings series is where I’ll share my adventures with my new tiny belly, which I have nicknamed Thumbellyna, because I do things like that.
And this is how I’m getting on – my total weight loss since December 2011.
MyFitnessPal – Free Weight Loss Tools
This here site has been my playground, stage and gallery since its launch way back in 1998. Yes, this site is the same age as google, alas nowhere near as rich.
I used to describe myself as a creative wonderer and wanderer, and I think that still applies. My wonderings and wanderings have resulted in some, well, excellent adventures (insert air guitar bit here):
- In 1999 I had a go at stand-up comedy, at a club in Essex. Just to make it more interesting it was filmed by the BBC.
- In 2002 I had a go at writing a book. It turned out to be more of an art project… a story of a pop group told via a fan’s scrapbook.
- In 2004 I developed an interest in music, and tried to teach myself to play guitar.
- In 2005 I had a go at doing a webcomic. This was rather fun and may yet see the light of day again.
- In 2007 I put away the crayons and became a diet bore. Did rather well, until I got bored.
- In 2008 I got into cosplay, and for a while became known as “The Guv”, making mischief at conventions and fan parties as TV copper Gene Hunt.
- In 2010 the proverbial black dog evacuated its proverbial bowels right in my psyche. I became ill with depression and withdrew from a lot of interests. Thanks to the support of local Mental Health services, my wonderful husband and an excellent bunch of online friends, I’m on the road to recovery, and getting my creative side going again is a big part of that.
- Now I am taking everything I have experienced and learned and using it to help me recover, not only from mental health problems, but also obesity and all the bonus problems that come with it. I’m using art, writing, social media and whatever else comes my way that could help. As I poddle on this journey, I shall be sharing stories, pictures, rants and raves on this here blog. I’m trying to tackle a serious problem in as playful and positive way as I can.
I like to play. I like to encourage play. Join me as I mess about, you might like it too.
Coming to you live from the South West of England: